Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-14-2012, 03:16 PM

Those of you firing actual 17 HH ammo in actual 17HH chambers seeing any problems with case swelling like is present in the .22 Hornet. (undersized brass in over sized chambers)
Old 06-14-2012, 03:23 PM

I did read somewhere ( maybe here ?) that Savage were holding 17HH back because of accuracy issues. Most here have good results with N120 in 17 Hornet, how far out are you seating the bullets ?, I personally get about 2 thou off the lands.

A[/quote]

I was told by my dealer that the magazine feeding is the issue.

Dave
Old 06-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
They state quite clearly in the link you were good enough to post (thanks!) that they are "powders", plural. Sure don't care and it is confusing cause in the ads on their site they also mention this;

" Innovative.
Superformance is a cutting edge technological advancement in ammunition design that transcends convention and achieves the highest performance of any ammunition on the market today."

There they make no mention of powder but only talk of ammunition design, curious??

What I do know from many years of doing this stuff is whether it's "a" powder or "powders", someone else is making it for them (possibly in non-canister grades??) and too they for sure ain't using a powder that gets high velocity in a .17 Hornet and stuffing it into a .300 Win Mag .

Don't matter a lick actually cause once I burn that initial factory stuff and have the brass it'll be roll-your-ownies for happily ever after .
Seems they claimed they had a special powder for the .204 when it first came out as well and I get their "claimed" velocity using 40's and RL10X.
I guess a lotta guys are just better off with straight wildcats were there are zero velocity comparisons to be made.
Thanks again for that thread!
Doug,

Makes me wonder if "Superformance" is a baseline powder with some new, improved coating, that is then blended with other industry available powders for the "Superformance" ammo they market. They sell the baseline powder as "Superformance", but also use it in their loaded ammunition as well, but it may not be all, part or even a significant portion of the overall powder mix for that specific cartridge.

Just thinking out loud here...

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 06-15-2012, 10:41 AM

Heard a lot about the 17HH (its a shorter case,it will chamber in a 17A/H chamber, stretches a lot.)
has anyone tried some in a A/H if so what did it shoot like and will it eventualy grow enough to fill the chamber when re-loaded to stop neck area eroding.

Wally
Old 06-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Supporting Member

Default 17HH cases....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally bennett View Post
Heard a lot about the 17HH (its a shorter case,it will chamber in a 17A/H chamber, stretches a lot.)
has anyone tried some in a A/H if so what did it shoot like and will it eventualy grow enough to fill the chamber when re-loaded to stop neck area eroding.

Wally
I'm not sure I would use 17HH cases in my 17AH as it might be more errosion in the bare neck area than wanted. There's enough 22 Hornet cases out there to satisfy and it's so easy to make 17AH ammo if you have a good and polished 17AH Full Length size die.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
Doug,

Makes me wonder if "Superformance" is a baseline powder with some new, improved coating, that is then blended with other industry available powders for the "Superformance" ammo they market. They sell the baseline powder as "Superformance", but also use it in their loaded ammunition as well, but it may not be all, part or even a significant portion of the overall powder mix for that specific cartridge.

Just thinking out loud here...
I have it from a "more" than reliable source that while there is only one "Superformance" powder being "marketed" there are indeed, as is only logical more than one powder being "used". Many ammo manufactures use non-cannister grades of factory powders to achieve a specific burn rate for a cartridge they load and as shocking as it may be , they don't really want us to know what it is or be able to duplicate their performance either. The goal of course is to get folk to buy their ammo, go figure .
As to this round getting a specific velocity or being accurate in a specific barrel either, there are so many variables affecting all that they are to numerous to list. IMO the accuracy will be fine in an accurate rifle (look at what Boddington got in that test with zero tweaking).
"Finally" I have it from a "more than reliable" source that the Savage hang-up is in getting the magazines to feed properly, not at all an uncommon problem with rimmed cartridges although I'm sure they will figure it out (Dave is right!). That makes a lot more sense to me than accuracy issues when I read Boddingtons article. That little round will be as accurate as the load developed for it, the rifle it gets stuck in, the barrel it goes down, the crown at the end of that barrel, the bedding job it's sitting in, the scope on top of it, the trigger that's getting yanked and the person doing the yanking. Plus a bunch of other things to numerous to mention as I already said.
Nobody has even got their hands on one yet (except Boddington) and we already got it turned into an inaccurate under-performer that no one will want to buy.......Except me ! Seems all is normal in the shooting world .
My Mom use to say "worry is like a rocking chair, it gives ya something to do but it never gets ya anywhere". I always liked that one.

Last edited by montdoug; 06-15-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycidon View Post
I can see no point in pushing anything above 3300 unless thats where better accuracy is. 17 Hornet in whatever guise is a short ( sub 200 yard) cartridge. Nothing hit at 3300 will want another one given decent placement.
A
Funnily enough that was my thought. Without even trying you can add 500fps to HMR velocity with an extra 8gr of bullet. That should make a mess of the internals of most small quarry.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in GA View Post
I'm not sure I would use 17HH cases in my 17AH as it might be more errosion in the bare neck area than wanted. There's enough 22 Hornet cases out there to satisfy and it's so easy to make 17AH ammo if you have a good and polished 17AH Full Length size die.

Dont think i would use them either it was just a thought on a very rainy week.
I have two full lenght 17 A/H dies i have backed one off as to only size half of the neck and reduced the dia of the button so i dont work the brass more than i need to.
The other one is as bought to full length size die-formed brass and to knock the shoulder back a bit if needed but i have not needed to do that yet.

Wally
Old 06-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Supporting Member

Default 17AH die....

I use a Lee Collet die machined to size half the neck and leave part fire formed to the chamber neck...supposedly holds everything in line and the bullet firmly. No lube to "wipe on, wipe off"!