Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-21-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Weaver Scopes ... Buyer BEWARE

I tried contacting Weaver's service dept. for 3 days. Finally after several phone calls and being on hold for over a total of 2 hours I got to speak to someone ( by the way do not press 0 for the operator like the recorded message says because it only forwards you to a voicemail box that says it is full and not receiving any messages). I explained to the service person that I had a T 36 that I needed to return due to it being hazy. He suggested that it probably lost it's charge from a bump that I caused. Well that for sure was not the case but what the heck. When we finally got around to me getting a Return Authorization # he asked if I had the original sales receipt! I said no and he said they could not repair it under warranty without it! I asked why and he said that about a month ago a VP had changed the warranty policy and you now had to have the original sales receipt to get something worked on under warranty. I said that the warranty card did not state that but he said there was nothing he could do.
Fellas that is it. The last straw. I have at least 3 or 4 other Weavers and those will be the last ones I ever buy and eventually I will get rid of them!!! It appears to me that Weaver (Meade Optics) is trying everything they can to get out of providing warranty. When I asked to speak to the VP he of course "was a busy man" and was un-available. When I reminded the person that I was a CUSTOMER and not a piece of chopped liver and I also am a busy man he then informed me that the VP was in China! HMMMM I wonder what he is doing there? I don't know about you guys but that was the last straw. Please email Weaver and let them know what you think about the warranty issue, customer service and their web site. The web site appears to be fine on the surface until you actually try to really use it. Maybe that will help.
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. There are plenty of other scopes out there in Weavers price range that DO HONOR THEIR WARRANTY unlike Weaver!

TKS
Roger in Ga
Old 07-21-2007, 02:27 AM
Supporting Member

That is very poor, if I may relate my experience with leaupold. I returned a a 3-9x40 that I bought here in australia back in the late 70s. The cross hairs had shifted and it lost clarity, the did'nt repair it, they sent me a brand new replacent vari 11. Now I know that they cost a good bit more than a lot of other scopes but the service is fantastic. And whilst I am on my hobby horse, lets take warne mounts. Had trouble contacting them by email, thanks to one of my friends here, drew, I was finally in contact, Tim was the bloke and he could not have been anymore helpfull, replaced the bases offered advise. two great american companies that know how to look after there customers
johno
Old 07-21-2007, 07:46 AM

Default Weaver Scopes

I am not saying this bloke is not telling the truth, but, he has joined several forums today where I have been a member for a couple years and all he has done is posted this same thing. I would like to hear Weavers side of the story. As I said, I'm not saying he is sloppy with the truth, but there is always two sides to a story.
Pete
Old 07-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Supporting Member

Bob it didn't sound right to me, since I have a Classic V24 ready to go back, I checked Weavers site . Under Warrenty they say- -send copy of original sales receipt. I don't have the box let alone the receipt, so will need to talk to them. I hope this isn't a trend with the scope mfg'r.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Weaver Warranty

To the gentleman that said I had just joined several sites and posted the same thing. That is somewhat correct however I have been a member of Varmint hunters site for some time and a member of the organization since they first appeared but I rarely post. You can look me up in the members section there. Everything I stated in the post was fact. I even under estimated the time on hold. Your time may vary. What I didn't post was that the Service Manager (I believe that was his title) called me back. He told me that they are getting numerous complaints about this and wanted me to email Weaver. I told him I was through with Weaver and I would email him the web sites where I posted my comments which I will Monday morning. I checked my warranty card and it said NOTHING about a sales receipt. I told him I did not understand how they could change their warranty policy and have it include purchases prior to the change and he did not have an answer. Even though he seemed like a nice guy you have to understand I had already made several phone calls over 2-3 days and yes I was on hold for over a TOTAL of 2 hours and that is consevative. This rates amont the worst service dept.I have ever dealt with. And yes when I hit "0" for the operator it did send me to a voice mail box that said it was full and was not accepting any messages (like a dummy I tried this on 2 different occassions) then you have to hang up and call again. I will admit that the last time i called it was only 20 minutes hold time before I got to speak to them. As far as Weavers side of the story I was told by the service person that answered the phone that people were sending in old telescopes (yes telescopes maybe he meant rifle scopes but he said telescopes and quoted model #'s) saying that people were returning them and they felt like these people were not the original owner hence the VP making the change. I have nothing to gain from this other than a lesson learned. I just wanted to make everyone of the Warranty policy that Weaver has instituted before they buy or try and send one back.

TKS
Roger
Old 07-21-2007, 04:10 PM

I read almost the exact same complain recently about a Simmons scope (same company as Weaver) from a long time member of that forum.

I am cursed with the ability to see both sides of most arguments. Speaking ONLY in generalities here, not about Roger in particular.

I think folks that abuse warranties and return policies ruin it for people with legitimate complaints. Of course, the company should honor their warranty policy. I'm guessing the rub in Weaver's "Limited Lifetime" warranty is that it is only to the original owner? I feel that kind'o of sort'a implies that you may have to prove that you are the original owner, i.e. sales receipt.

Roger, is it possible that you may be able to get a replacement receipt from wherever you bought it? Due to the lack of any local stores I do most of my trading online. At Midway for instance, I can acess a history of everything I have ever bought from them (pretty damn scary to look at, I tell you).

Anyway, sorry for your troubles, I do like my new Weaver K-4 and think it is a heck of a value for the money.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Supporting Member

Default Same story here

Bought 2 V16's in sealed boxes from a member right here a couple years ago, one had a broken retical. Weaver would not honor the warranty, didn't matter that this scope had never been mounted, frankly they didn't care. No receipt, no warranty, cut and dried. Within 2 months I dumped 10 Weaver scopes on Ebay, 2 T36's, 3 T10's, 4 V16's and a V10, got good money for them too. Replaced them all with Nikons and BL 4200/3200's with unlimited, no receipt needed, unconditional warranties.

Sign me, "Covered in Texas"
Old 07-21-2007, 05:00 PM

I've noted the same thing on their website, I have a V-24 that needs servicing. I don't have a reciept, either. I've had other Weavers that were fine, both new and older El Paso models, but I won't be buying another, it seems they don't care to warrant what they sell, so I'll buy other brands from now on. I replaced that V-24 with a Nikon, and am VERY pleased with it.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Too Bad....

They arent all like Dillon?? So much for their much touted "upgrades". I was thinking about buying one of the new ones until I read this. Wont touch them with a ten foot pole now. If they arent proud enough of their product to take care of them after the sale.....well then you know where they can go...
Old 07-22-2007, 01:12 AM

All,

Remember that :

1) The warranty card that came with the scope says nothing about needing a sales receipt for warranty.

2) According to the service rep. the warranty receipt is something that had just been required "about a month ago".

With that being said why would I have saved the receipt of a scope that was purchased long before this was a requirement for a warranty claim? Obviously if it was stated on the warranty card or indicated somehow along with the purchase I would have kept it.

TKS
Roger