Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 PM

Default FYI Lapua 6mm BR Norma brass

I have been gathering up my components for my up coming 22BR build. As I get items I take measurements and clean dies etc. I have been reading that new blue box Lapua brass necks are on the thin side of around .011" thickness. Well this is not the situation with my brass. I loaded up a .243 caliber bullet and used a micrometer to measure the outside neck diameter of the dummy round. After calculations were done the neck thickness was .1235". Of course when I form the necks down for the 22BR the neck thickness will increase. I talked to my brother about this who also recently bought some blue box Lapua brass and he said his neck thickness was just under .012". It just goes to show you that you need to take you own measurements to get accurate information.

At this point it looks like there is not someone doing Savage pre-fits barrels who has a reamer that will fit my needs for my 22BR build. I therefore have decided to order my first reamer from PTG. I have just finished measuring and calculating seating depths for varmint bullets in the 50 to 60 grain which I intend to use. I am excited to get a rifle chamber to meet my needs.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Supporting Member

The "new" blue box stuff is just closer to the intended dimensions than the older paper box stuff was.....

.012-.0125 is what i`m getting for the blue box..

I turn to .012 anyways......