Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Classifieds

Old 01-21-2007, 03:24 AM

Default switch barrel

hi folks,
have a question on cz barrels. if i pruchase a cz 17 rem which is on the 527 action, could i later take a 22 hornet barrel, same 527 action, with proper head spaceing, could i shoot the hornet? are the bolt faces the same, or the hornet smaller? would shoot it single shot.
thanks inadvance.......dan
Old 01-21-2007, 03:46 AM

No. the extractor is different and so is the bolt face. The hornet has a extractor grove cut into the barrel because it is a rimmed cartridge.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Supporting Member

Default barrel faces....

On the left is the standard CZ 527 barrel for rimless cases-[probably the 7.62x39].
On the right is a Hornet showing recess necessary for the rimmed case. Actually it's not necessary, but CZ chooses to support all the Hornet case head they could. About 0.072" depth [on the side of the case head in front of the rim] is UNsupported in the relief only instead of all the way around. Makes a gas escape channel I guess.
So fitting a Hornet barrel [making a 17AH, of course!] invovles mounting the barrel vertically in the mill for this extra work. At least that's the way it's done here. Got a vise that mounts on the edge of the Bridgeport table. Remember to touch/dull the new cut at the outer corners, they are sharp and will gall the action inner ring like 'cutters' when torqued in.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 01-21-2007 at 01:15 PM.