Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Supporting Member

Steve I wouldn't let this talk put you off building something on the Martini action......they can look good and can shoot quite well if done correctly.

I have had a couple of hornets and always found they would shoot under an inch in the Martini .........which was about the same as friends were getting out of their bolt action rifles.......and some weren't even getting that.

The stock, especially the fore end can be the deciding factor in how they shoot.........Kiwi

222 Remington

Custom 20 cal by Les Brookes

Was on Gunbroker......222 Rem rimless By Bob Snapp and Maurice Ottmar
Old 05-21-2011, 04:02 AM

Oh my, those are lovely.

I have a confession to make, and I hope it does not offend the great group of guys here, but here goes:

The .22 Hornet is my favorite CF round.

There, I said it.

I have a .17 Tac, .20 VT, .20 PPC, .20 Tac, and on and on, yet I still can't get over my absolute joy when shooting the simple .22 Hornet. I'm blessed to have a few hand-picked rifles from Anschutz, and they will remain with me until the end. I would sell my Tom Dixon built BAT .20 VT before I'd let my Ans hornet go.

That said, I feel the need to get a single-shot falling block type of rifle for hunting jacks out in the field. Something about it just won't let me go.

Thus, I will track down the perfect FB Hornet to add to my growing collection. I don't want to get it, I have to get it.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to post replies, I do appreciate it.

s.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Supporting Member

Default similiar situation

I went through that falling block/Hornet craze awhile back also. Ended up with a Winchester Highwall custom in 22 Hornet. Friend of mine and I were setting up at the Dallas Market Hall gunshow. As most of us do I made a quick pass through checking everything out before it opened. Then I spotted it. Talked with the owner and told him I would be right back, as soon as I sold something Went back to my tables, thought about it, pulled out the cash I had, told my buddy to give me all the cash he had, went back and got it. Snooze ya lose! Mine will shoot around 1", has the typical generous chamber dimensions that drives me crazy. I usually trot it out on family occasions as it's the perfect recoil for everyone to shoot, less tempermental than the Martini's.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Supporting Member

I LOVE hornets, and because of that I have, and have had, quite a lot of them in pretty much every conceivable configuration. The Martini is more correctly a rolling block action, whereas the ruger is a true falling block. I currently have a Uberti Rolling block in 22 Hornet, and a Ruger #3 in 22 hornet. I have done extensive work to the Ruger, pressure screw in hanger, floated and glassed the forearm and had the trigger worked over and tuned to a light pull. It shoots well under a MOA but my CZ, Anschutz or Browning bolt guns will outshoot it quite easily.

That said, both the Ruger nad the Uberti have accounted for a ton of gophers and shooting vermin and game is what a Hornet really is made for. I would go for it on the Martinin Hornet. That is one version of the Hornet I have never owned and am still looking for a BSA Martini. They are quite a bit harder to come by in Canada.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:17 PM

Sweet Mercy...! those are super nice Dean. Glad I'm not alone with my love for the Hornet. Just something about it I really like.

If I could get 1 MOA or a bit better, I would be happy. This will be an offhand rifle for the most part.

I shall keep hunting around.

thanks.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:25 PM

Dean, I gotta disagree with you.

A Martini is NOT a Rolling Block. It's a Martini, so not a falling block either. It's, well, a Martini.

Nice looking Roller, btw.

SteveB, Take a look around for a Falling block Works Model K action. Apparently still available. Maybe someone here can come up with contact info or a more current situation report.

Cape Girardeau Outfitters imported some Italian made actions that were sold as Fraser's, that were sold in the white, as U-finish kits. Nice looking little falling block with an internal hammer, but it had some issues with the steep angle of the firing pin through the block, and had a tendency to lock the action shut when the pin would not retract. Maybe you have the capability to play around with something like that, or not. I had a near miss on buying one, that strangely enough, was locked shut at the time, and have since found out how close I came to being unhappy with it. That said, if I found one cheap enough...

Other than that, you pretty much duke it out over the few High and Low wall Winchester 1885 actions that are around, or buy one of the modern ones. Or look at the Stevens 44 1/2, original or new built. Not much else out there in a falling block, suitable for a Hornet.

Cheers
Trev
Old 05-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Supporting Member

trevj

You are in fact correct to disagree. The Uberti in the picture is a true rolling block, the Ruger is a falling block and the Martini is actally a tilt down at the front as the lever is pulled down and forward. The breach block tilts down at the front just enough to load another shell.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:21 PM

I have an old BSA martini that has been rechambered in 22 jet, it uses the old rimfire barrel in 0.222 makes bullet heads a bit hard to find. The trigger is very good and has a safety fitted. It will shot groups around an inch.

It was built by a local gunsmith sadly no longer with us for a local gamekeper to shot foxes and vermin with.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:44 PM

Default Martini Cadets

I built a 17 Ackley Hornet on an older 22 LR action. It is a hoot to shoot and VERY accurate! It has the problem with scope mounting associated with all the Martini Cadets but is still lots of fun. I picked up a newer Browning Low Wall in 22 Hornet coming into a gun show two weeks ago for 350.00. It might be a candidate for the 17 Ackley Hornet too.
I seem to remember in my books by Grant the Martinis were
called "Tipping Block" or ? Anyway, I do not know if this is correct but it fits.

Aloha, Mark
Old 05-24-2011, 05:08 PM

Default Martini Cadets

I built a 17 Ackley Hornet on an older 22 LR action. It is a hoot to shoot and VERY accurate! It has the problem with scope mounting associated with all the Martini Cadets but is still lots of fun. I picked up a newer Browning Low Wall in 22 Hornet coming into a gun show two weeks ago for 350.00. It might be a candidate for the 17 Ackley Hornet too.
I seem to remember in my books by Grant the Martinis were
called "Tipping Block" or ? Anyway, I do not know if this is correct but it fits.

Aloha, Mark