Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Supporting Member

Default What is your favorite neck turning tool??

Do you prefer manual or power?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Doug, I like the K&M system very well. It's easy to make fine adjustments owing to the compound thread on the cutter adjustment. It's reasonably priced and Ken is a super guy and I like to support him.

Turning the case by hand don't do it for me, so I use a Hart case holder chucked in a cordless drill. The K&M tool comes with a case holder that uses Lee autoprime shellholders and also has a standard 1/4" hex for use in power screwdrivers or drills......

"Special appetite skill combine with brain lentil size create the deadliest!"
Old 03-01-2007, 08:10 PM

I have two Sinclairs and two K&M tools. I use the Sinclair to make the first cut and the K&M tools to do the final. I've found that I get much better concentricity by just removing a small amount each cut. If the brass is thick in the neck I might make three to four cuts to get to my final diameter. They are both fine tools.

I use a Sinclair shell holder that fits in my DeWalt power screwdriver. It seems to work fine for me. However, I would love to have one of those Bodine gearmotor setups that Kevin made, as it would be easier to do with one hand free.

I used to do under hand power, but the power tools are much easier on these old arthritic hands....

Phasor
Old 03-01-2007, 08:29 PM

I wanted to get a Nielson "Pumpkin" but the lack of an email reply to my enquiry didn't aid in that happening.

I went with a Sinclair for ease of getting hold of and am pleased with it. It doesn't have any tricks to help in easy set up but with a few spare cases and a bit of trial and error it isn't any sort of an issue I can't live with. I have the NT-3000 I think it is, the larger of the two they do and iy is a nice size to use. I'd prefer a hardened turning mandrel but it doesn't seem to matter and the matched expander and turning mandrels are a good idea. I bought 3 expanders and fine tuned the fit of the case neck on the turner, seemed to be critical for best results.

I use a Sinclair case holder and drive that with a 3.6V battery screwdriver. I have found that with the right fit of the case neck on the turning mandrel the screwdriver has plenty of torque to drive the cases and any tighter fit is actually detrimental to accurate neck turning. Not to loose and not to tight, it seems that it has to be just the right light press fit for optimum results.

The clincher for me was that I can order from Sinclair and have the gear in my hands within a week, even down here.

I also have a Forster hand held turner and it isn't a bad tool. The down side if they don't seem to offer matched mandrels for expanding and the area that the neck stops against on the turning mandrel is a tapered shape so the cases are not so inclined to stop at a definte cut length against the shoulder.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Supporting Member

I just went through this with a friend with more money than he knows what to do with. He bought the Sinclair and brought it over to have me set it up for him. I can't stand the thing after using my K&M for so long. I showed him the Neilson web site and he ordered one. I told him the K&M works great, but the Neilson is the Cadillac of neckturners. Well he brought it over for me to set up and it is a GREAT tool. But, I can buy almost 3 K&M's for the price. If you want the best get the Neilson, if you want a good tool with no frills, just business, get the K&M. The Hart case holder is the cats for spinning htem in the drill. (have heard good things about hte Hart turner also, but have not had one in hand)

Mike
Old 03-02-2007, 02:18 AM

Default Hard to find these days but

a pretty good'un.

Stiller Precision Eccentric Neck-Turner
-- Poor Man's "Pumpkin" --

There are many quality neck turning tools out there. The micro-adjustable K&M with its unique "doughnut-cutter" is a gem. Many shooters rank Don Nielson's $150 "Pumpkin" as the easiest to use. Jerry Stiller has introduced a large, round neck-turner that works every bit as well as the Pumpkin, at half the price. Like the Pumpkin, Stiller's tool uses an eccentric mandrel for precise adjustability. With a 2" diameter, it's easy on the hands. Stiller's tool uses Pacific Precision cutters (Dave Kiff) and comes in red, blue and green so you can color code them for different barrels or rough vs. final cut. Price is $75 including mandrel from Stiller Precision.

I understand that Jerry and Curtis are no longer producing these so it would be get what is left to get from them. So it might not be worth getting one, if you can find one, if they are not making them anymore. But they make quality stuff and are both good guys.

I am not surprised that they may have stopped producing them since I was under the impression that they made one large batch or so just to prove a point that they could produce a top notch product for really good price. I guess they made their point and moved on.

Anyway, the one I have does a nice job. A better tool than my abilities that is for sure. I picked one up because they have been good sponsors of several forums and
the LSSO...and it was half the price of the pumpkin.

DB
Old 03-02-2007, 02:23 AM
Supporting Member

Stiller doesn't make those anymore. Pretty close copy of the Neilson.

Mike
Old 03-02-2007, 03:02 AM

Lightbulb Neck Turning

I like the K&M tools and equipment.

Invest in carbide turning mandrels.....they eliminate a lot of grief.

Kevin

Old set-up:

New set-up:
Old 03-02-2007, 03:17 AM

I use a K&M - only hand tool I've ever used other than an obnoxious Forester little lathe thingie.
: I use power as well - either an electric drill in the vice or the little lathe.
; BTW - thanks for the call Doug - hope I'm home next time.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:45 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Mntngoat

I have owed a couple Sinclairs then went to the Hart and finally to the K & M. In fact own a couple of them now. As Kevin mentioned get the carbide mandrels mount mind in teh vise and use a Hart case spinner attachment on a B & W slow speed power screwdriver.

Michael