Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Banned

Default Savage 25 Walking Varminter

I noticed that Savage just introduced a new version of the model 25 rifle. They call it a "Walking Varminter". Anyone here have any experience with that particular rifle?
Old 06-06-2011, 07:45 PM

Nope...but I have had good results with the earlier Savage M 40 single shot in .22 Hornet...a very accurate rifle with 1/2 inch or under at 100yds with 12.4 grs LIL GUN and a 35 gr V Max bullet. Very nice bluing and finished laminated stock. The accu trigger is a plus as well and helps with the tiny groups. Bought this rifle 3 years ago...never shot it until late winter -early spring of this year.....guess I missed out on some varmint fun with this rifle the last few years..

Probably the only down side is the bolt is not as smooth as a 110 -10 series bolt action rifle is.. and it looks like a real problem to wildcat this rifle...the way the action and barrel are mated up...
Old 06-08-2011, 02:20 AM

A gunsmith on Savage Shooters site reports the new 25 rifles are a smooth barrel nut design (allowing barrel swaps?). Cannot figured why the new small caliber offerings didn't include a .221fb,.17fb or a .20vt; instead they offer 5.7x28? Looks like the single shot model 40 in the hornet is gone this year.

Maybe somebody on that site will post a 25 project rifle. I like the det/mag .223 I tried. http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...?topic=39310.0

I swap barrels every so often on 12 & 14 savage models (same action). You might ask Sinman a member here, he builds a lot of savage rifles. His cz switch barrel arrived here today, it is a .221fb for now.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:54 AM

Default The Walking Varminter Reviewed

This PDF file

http://www.nioa.net.au/PDFReviews/Sa...0Varminter.pdf

shows how the Savage Model 25 barrel threads into the action and is held in place via fit of the threads and two parallel pins (the pins run perpendicular and through the barrel and action).

It looks like the barrel does not butt up against the action via a barrel shoulder like CZ's 527.

The 5.7 x 28 cartridge and the 4.6 x 30 are perfect cartridges for reloadable rimfire substitutes for the 17 HMR (as a wildcat) and 22 WMR (as itself).

The Savage Model 25 would be the ideal platform for the above centerfires.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:18 AM

I am thinking that on some (later?) the barrel was locked into the threads by a set screw that was in the bottom of the front stock mounting lug, the lug was fixed to the action. The barrel is sleeved (it just fits into the action in front of the threads). Either way it looks like a piece of cake to re-barrel it as long as there are no extractor cuts. Larry
Old 06-08-2011, 02:05 PM

Default Light weight?

How do they call that rifle lightweight? Is it just because it is a lightweight action? The standard gun weighs 8.25 lbs. A laminated stock is anything but lightweight. The walking varminter is 6.9 lbs. The CZ527 American is 5.9 lbs. The Savage's are over priced too I think. The walking one is almost $200 less than the standard model 25 though. If they can be bought around $400 they might sell some and I might try one.
Dave
Old 06-09-2011, 02:08 AM
Banned

i checked the price at the gunshop yesterday and they quoted me a price of $450 plus tax. I though that was reasonable. I also talked to Savage today and they won't start shipping the rifle until July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid5 View Post
How do they call that rifle lightweight? Is it just because it is a lightweight action? The standard gun weighs 8.25 lbs. A laminated stock is anything but lightweight. The walking varminter is 6.9 lbs. The CZ527 American is 5.9 lbs. The Savage's are over priced too I think. The walking one is almost $200 less than the standard model 25 though. If they can be bought around $400 they might sell some and I might try one.
Dave
Old 06-09-2011, 02:31 AM

Old 06-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Supporting Member

Great rifle......just wish they hadn't used Weatherby stocks...........A nice CZ American type stock would look a whole lot better IMO...........

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com