Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 01-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Supporting Member

Andy, The 14 twist should work fine for 40's. Long (usually heavy) bullets require a faster twist. A good example is the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser that originally was issued with 156gr bullets and had a matching 1:9 (1:8.66) twist. Historically speaking, the 14 twist was pretty standard in the .222 for bullets up to 53gr, which are certainly longer than the 40's. What reamer is your smith going to use? Long leade and freebore has been a frustration for me and that is in part why I stayed away from the 40's in the factory rifles. I was not able to reach even .020" off the rifling and still have enough of the bullet in the neck. I don't recall the dimensions but I am sure I recorded them at the time. They may have worked fine jumping, but I focused more on the 50's, 52's and 53's. Some of the guys here can perhaps shed more light on this but it would be nice to be able to have the bullets touch the rifling and still have about .224" of the bullet in the neck. Especially if you have a choice in a new build. Frequent hard, gusty winds were the other contributing factor for me.

Take care, Peter.

Last edited by PeterS; 01-24-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:10 PM

I have managed 10mm 3 shot groups with the 40 grs V Max/ Ballistic Tip. I use 21grs N200 or 22 grs N130. I obviously have a lucky 1-14" 222 barrel as it shoots everything from 40 - 63 grs sub inch with ease.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy221 View Post
I dropped off one of my rifles to get re-barreled in 222. I decided on a 1-14 twist since I am only going to be shooting 40 and 50 grain bullets along with some of the 52 grain match bullets and Its going to have a shilen #7 contour.

anyways I was hoping to here what you all h think and what your experiences have been with the 222 remington.

and also what you think of the 14 twist with 40gr v-max's. thanks in advance.

I'm kinda doing the same thing. I have a 1x14 twist, fluted, Rock Creek barrel to be finished to 24" and a SS Rem short action. I ordered a chamber Reamer from PT&G to my specs, .250 neck, no freebore and for Lapua match brass. The reamer should be here on monday. I don't want it chambered by what ever the smith has on the shelf.

Tom
Old 01-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Supporting Member

I'm with Tom 100%. A mystery chamber has never been to my liking. I would rather spend the money on the reamer that I want rather than be disappointed. Plus there is a good chance you can re-sell the reamer and recoup a good portion of your outlay. My .222 is a .251 neck with .024 lead PT&G print #30248 FWIW.

Peter.

Last edited by PeterS; 03-16-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-22-2012, 05:42 AM

peters

are you able to touch the rifling with the 40 grain plastic tips with that lead. thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 12:26 AM
Supporting Member

Andy, Yes the 40 V-Max has .153 in the neck and 40 BlitzKings have .122. Not perfect but much better than the factory chambers that I have had. I will measure more when I get a chance.

Peter.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy221 View Post
superx and toby-

what size groups are you getting with the 40's

I am starting to second guess my decision and I am wondering if the 14 twist is going to be to slow and prevent me from getting .5 inch or less groups with the 40 plastic tips?
I built mine specifically intending to shoot the 40 Grain VMax. I used a 1 in 14 twist Pac-Nor and .012 freebore. Not only does it shoot the 40 grain, but the 50 grain VMax and 52 grain Berger shoot as well or better. 1/2" or better 3 shot groups @ 100 yds.

Scott
Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Supporting Member

Default Reamers, short, short, short!

For 40's, especially boat tail 40's, the shorter the freebore the better IMO. The .024" that I used is still better than any of the factory (Rem) chambers that I have. But if you want to to shoot mostly 40's like Scott, I would go as short as you can.

Scott, what 40 have you had the best luck with? What rifle and barrel?

Thanks, Peter.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:57 PM

!!!!well heres an update on the 222. I have it back now! I decided to take a chance with the gunsmiths 222 reamer, it was a tight neck which was what I wanted also I wanted to have the rifle by the time I left Idaho. I picked up the rifle in the Uhaul on my way out of town lol. I got the rifle home and measured the free bore and I can't touch the rifleing with a 50 vmax still in the case, which I don't mind actually (as long as it shoots good) He told me he would re-ream it later at no charge if I wanted to change it to a no turn neck and so on.

I had to widen the barrel channel and now the cheap plastic stock is to flexible and touches the barrel with any amount of pressure. I was extremely excited to shoot it so I whipped up some loads of IMR 4198 and 40 nos BT and went out! shooting off my tail gate with the sand bag right in front of my trigger gaurd I got it sighted in (showing some promise) and then tried a couple of three shot groups. I was a little unsturdy shooting off my tail gate and where the sandbag was placed, but I couldn't wait! The two groups I shot were in the .5 range. pretty happy with that considering my stock, rest and one of my first loads(started low checking for pressure).

I ordered a boyds uninleted blank which should be here today. Once I get the rifle in it I will start working on my loading.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:29 AM

Just messed with an old 788 Remington this evening in 222. It was an even trade for a 10/22 Ruger!! Just dinking with it a couple weeks ago and loaded up some 50 grain Sierra BK and some 55 grain Sierra BK and it was pretty darn good for a rifle with bluing worn and the usual dink marks in the stock also I put an old Weaver V10 scope that was in the rifle room on it. I had also loaded up some 40 grain Nosler BT's a couple weeks ago over 24.6 grains of AA2230 that turned in a group of groups that I thought were pretty good! I won't quote the velocity because I honestly do not remember but I know it was not lacking for usable velocities! So tonight I loaded up some neck sized brass using the 24.6 grains of AA 2230 and both the 40 grain Sierras and the 40 grain Nosler BT's...............I can live with .556" from the Sierras when I pulled one (4 are in .196") or .396" in a cluster with the Noslers!! From a cheap old rifle!!! I loaded up a bunch more tonight and will retest them but this one will shoot!!! Ugly, can't hurt it, throw it in the truck, tractor, 4-wheeler but when it is pointed at a vermin it is going to be serious!! This was no measuring for C.O.L. and jump to rifling!! Sierras were 2.170 and the Noslers were 2.163..........maybe I'll measure the jump tomorrow! I know where there are a couple "really purty rifles" that can be bought tonight! One is a Browning Low Wall in 22 K-Hornet and the other is a Ruger #1 in 218 Bee...........either of which are legitimate .6-.7" guns with AA1680 pushing 35VMAXS out of the K and AA1680 pushing 40 Sierras out of the Bee. The BEE also has a B&C synthetic stock so you can save the purty wood!! GHD