Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Classifieds

Old 02-23-2012, 02:04 AM

Default AR15 in 19 Badger

I have thought a lot about this one. I spent a lot of time and money gathering the parts and finding the gunsmith to build this. I have just decided that it never gets shot, and I think my new Mini-14 in 20 VarTarg is a better fit for me. It started life as an Olympic Arms AR15 chambered in 30 Carbine. Olympic only made these for a couple years and then discontinued them due to low demand. It feeds from unmodified M1 Carbine mags by use of a magwell adapter. This adapter requires a slight modification of a standard upper to fit. I tried to capture the mods in the pics.

I purchased the 19 caliber barrel through James Calhoon. It is a 24" Pac Nor super match stainless with a 1/13 twist. When it arrived, James chambered it in 19 Badger. I then sent it to Ballistic Advantage to have them install the barrel extension, headspace the barrel to my bolt, mill out my upper for the mag adapter, drill the gas port, and tune it to loaded Calhoon ammo. They also threaded the muzzle 1/2x28 for my suppressor. They then assembled it into a complete upper with my Young NM side charging carrier and a Mega Arms side charging upper.

I am also including the original 30 carbine upper and carrier that goes with it. It originally had an A2 upper, but I switched it out with a flat top. A friend that works it a local machine shop did the mod for the mag adapter. I will include both the original A2 and the flat top upper. I am also including 10 M1 carbine 15 round mags. Nine of these are new production made by Keep Shooting, and 1 is a well worn USGI mag that came with the rifle. They have functioned perfectly. I am also including a NIB Forster 19 Badger FLS die, some 19 cal brushes, Calhoon's load data, and an AR15 bore guide. I am throwing in 179 rounds of Calhoon loaded 32 gr ST, 50 rounds of Calhoon loaded 32 gr HP, and 53 rounds of 30 carbine 110 gr FMJ.

Some things that need mentioning. The loaded ammo from Calhoon is about .02" too long for the M1 carbine mags. Calhoon said this small amount of bullet set back shouldn't affect accuracy. I never got into handloading so I don't know how hard this would be to correct. I simply ground the tips of the ammo with a bench grinder till they fit. I also loaded 4 rounds into a standard AR 15 round mag and it fed fine. I attempted this a second time, and it worked fine. If I tried to load 5 they started stacking funny so I stopped at 4. There are some scratches along the side of the upper and a couple on the lower. I assume this is from the trips it made being shipped from Calhoon to the gunsmith and back to me. I don't know the exact round count, but I feel confident in saying it is less than 30. I haven't even scoped this rifle. I guess it just turned out a little too bulky for my taste, so I never really got the ambition to set it up. The original rifle was purchased new and was very hard to find. It has a 16" barrel threaded 1/2x28. The only thing pictured that isn't included is the AR Gold trigger. I am selling this with a standard AR trigger. Doing a quick estimate of what I have into this rifle gives me just over $2500 not counting shipping costs. I would like to get $1800 shipped for it. I am pretty flexible as to adjustments to the package such as changing out the PRS stock for an A2 for -$175. I am also willing to ship without the complete lower for -$500 so I don't have to deal with a FFL. The mag adapter will install on any standard AR lower. Please feel free to ask any questions, and thanks for looking. Pics to follow.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:06 AM

Old 02-23-2012, 02:09 AM

The bipod and adapter are not included.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:26 AM
Supporting Member

I knew I should have worn a panty liner when I opened this thread. Oh droooooool

Johno
Old 02-23-2012, 04:26 AM

Consider trades I got a cooper model38 20 vartarg
Old 02-23-2012, 12:10 PM

As for trades, I planned to use the funds to get a Burris Eliminator or a Burris XTR 6-24x50. I would do a partial trade for one or these scopes or something very similar. I have heard good things about Night Force. I have also been looking into getting a Savage 16FCSS in .243.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 PM

I am going to give this package till Sunday Mar. 4, to sell. If it doesn't, I am sending it off for a conversion to 20 Garin with a 16.5" barrel. After this, only the barrel will be available.