Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Supporting Member

Default Portable Reloading bench

Does anyone have plans for a portable reloading bench like the one Todd Kindler sells?
________
CAT EXERCISE WHEEL
________
9inchesTSdicksDoubleUp

Last edited by ab_bentley; 09-10-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Default How about this one?

Room enough for my Rockchucker and my Harrells dispenser.

I've built several of these, and prefer the press on the left, rather than as shown. I also made the top on the last one two inches deeper, all on the back side, so I could put my RCBS 505 scales on top as well.

Makes a good setup for loading at the range off the bench or the tailgate of your pickup.

If this suits your fancy, I've got other pics I'd be glad to PM you.

Alex
Old 05-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Supporting Member

Yes that is along the lines of what I am looking fer...
________
Ship Sale
________
Marijuana card

Old 05-26-2009, 02:07 AM
Supporting Member

Does the press make a whole stroke ?
Old 05-26-2009, 02:14 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA
Default press

Do you also have to clamp it down?

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 05-26-2009, 02:54 AM

Only desire I ever had for a portable reloading bench was for doing load development at the range or for in the killing fields. So I went with an arbor press, Fairing & Neil Jones custom dies (for the wildcats) and Wilson dies, a Harrells w/several bottles (different powders)/drop tubes and it's click chart (no need for scales), a supply of bullets and prepped/primed brass... all that I can use on my portable shooting bench right on the firing line. Load one or two rounds, shoot, make adjustments for one or two more, shoot and so on... sweet spot found/load development done with very few rounds fired. Comes in handy in the killing fields as well... can sit and reload the days fired brass during any lulls in the shooting (if there are any) or around camp at night. Started using this system long before Harrells came out with their compact presses that use regular threaded dies or I might have considered something like Alex did and went that way. Equipment sure would have been a lot cheaper.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Default Notes on my homemade bench.

To answer some of the questions.

I use two little "hand clamps" to fasten it to the bench, sometimes. Really not necessary. The footprint is large enough that except for the upstroke when drawing the expander die back through the case, there is no need to do have the bench anchored. On the upstroke, if you just put your hand on the base, that's usually enough.

The dimensions are adjusted so the Rockchucker makes the whole swing. That means that you have to put the front edge on the edge of the table.

You can make two of these from a 4x8' piece of 1" plywood. Be sure to get at least B/C grade. If you want a little better looking unit, get marine ply, or even furniture grade. This one is B/C.

Even though I've built three "loading tables" in the last dozen years, my favorite and most comfortable "press table" is an old computer table set at "typing table" height with this press mount.

One of the units I built for my cousin is similar to this one, but uses the RCBS aluminum press mount on top, allowing both the Rockchucker and an RCBS powder measure holder base to be attached. Bobby uses a high dollar digital scale to adjust the final charge, and often takes this setup to benchrest matches.

All that said, and using my own creation as my favorite mount, I also have two of Kindler's press mounts. If I only charged about 3 bux an hour for my time, my creation would be cheaper. Mine is much sturdier (color that "heavier"). I shouldl take a pic of my "Kindlers", as it is a lot lighter to tote and with the side shelf that is part of the unit, offers a place for dies and even attaching a powder dispenser.

Alex
Old 05-26-2009, 03:46 PM

Sinclair did also used to do this item, not sure if they still do.

A
Old 05-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Supporting Member

I made a similar one. I'll give you mine for the cost of shipping. I want to make the next one from 3/4" material.

ML
Old 05-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Supporting Member

ML PM sent
________
NSR150
________
Kartess